administration wants to ban guns
Daily Caller -- Last Thursday, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder appeared before the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee to answer questions about his role in the deadly “Fast and Furious” gun-running scandal. However, instead of answers, Congress got more defiance, more arrogance, and more wasted time with an attorney general who clearly feels no sense of obligation to the American people or our rule of law.
But for all the stonewalling, there was at least one telling moment at this hearing, and it should concern law-abiding gun owners and all Americans who expect accountability from our government.
In a rash attempt to deflect attention away from himself and his own irresponsibility, Holder let Congress know that the Obama administration is still working toward the day when it can reinstate former President Bill Clinton’s so-called “assault weapons” ban. According to Holder:
This administration has consistently favored the reinstitution of the assault weapons ban. It is something that we think was useful in the past with regard to the reduction that we’ve seen in crime, and certainly would have a positive impact on our relationship and the crime situation in Mexico.
It’s difficult to follow Holder’s logic here, but it goes something like this...
The Obama administration — particularly Eric Holder’s Justice Department — oversaw an epic scandal whereby our own federal government illegally funneled thousands of firearms into the hands of Mexican drug lords. This contributed to the death of one U.S. Border Patrol agent and hundreds of Mexicans. Keep reading...
Blog author's comments - by Wayne LaPierre, NRA Executive Vice President
Obama won’t admit his anti-gun agenda, but his record speaks for itself. Within a week of his election to the White House in 2008, Obama’s “transition team” posted several elements of his gun-ban agenda on the Internet—at change.gov—but then abruptly deleted the web page.
Since then, whenever the Obama administration has dropped its guard and revealed its true intent to ban firearms, it has quickly backed down to restore a facade of sanity.
For example, in 2009, less than a month after he was confirmed as attorney general, Eric Holder admitted that his boss wanted to ban your semi-automatic firearms. Then he quickly backed off.
In 2010, top officials at the Environmental Protection Agency told anti-hunting activists the agency had the power to impose a ban on your lead ammunition. Then they quickly backed off.
In 2011, the Department of Interior announced that it was considering bans to stop you from target shooting on public lands. Then it quickly backed off.
The motive behind this madness is clear. Obama and company are engaged in a conspiracy of public deception intended to:
1. Lull gun owners into a false sense of security to decimate the ranks of groups like the NRA and neutralize gun owners as a political force in elections and, thereby;
2. Win re-election to a second term in the White House, at which point they will be immune from elections and free to consolidate and misuse their ever-increasing power to;
3. Excise the Second Amendment from our Bill of Rights forever through legislation, litigation, regulation, executive orders, judicial fiat, international treaties and every lever of unchecked power that they can wrest from all three branches of government.
And the key to their success lies in keeping gun owners like you in the dark.
Make no mistake: Barack Obama has spent his entire political career engaged in a stealthy assault on your Right to Keep and Bear Arms:
• 1996: Obama endorsed a total ban on the manufacture, sale and possession of all handguns.
• 1998: Obama endorsed a ban on the sale or transfer of all semi-automatic firearms.
• 1999: Obama supported a 500 percent increase in federal taxes on ammunition.
• 2003: Obama voted to ban single-shot, over-under and side-by-side shotguns.
• 2004: Obama said the right to carry should be banned nationwide.
Obama even said you shouldn’t be allowed to have a gun in your home for self-defense!
It’s true: Before the U.S. Supreme Court overturned Washington, D.C.’s ban on firearms in the home for self-defense, Obama had the gall to say that the ban was constitutional.
Worse yet, when the Illinois legislature voted on a bill that would exempt residents from prosecution for violating a local handgun ban if they used their handguns for self-defense in their own homes, Obama voted against the bill!
Once in the White House, Obama filled his cabinet with the most rabid anti-gun and radical anti-hunting extremists ever seen in Washington.
h/t: Benjamin Carter