Two or Three Things I Know About the Iraq WarBy Scott Spiegel
In anticipation of President Barack Obama’s primetime address to the nation on the Iraq War, columnist Eugene Robinson wrote, “Now that the Iraq War is over… only one thing is clear about the outcome: We didn’t win.”
Actually, I can think of about 12 things that are clearer about the outcome of the Iraq War than the conclusion that we didn’t win:
(1) Obama was wrong about the surge.
(2) Vice President Joe Biden was wrong about the surge.
(3) President George W. Bush was right to ignore Congressional Democrats and the Iraq Study Group and order the surge in 2007.
(4) Insurgent violence dropped precipitously after the surge was implemented.
(5) If Democrats had their way on the surge in Iraq, per Harry Reid’s declaration that “this war is lost,” it would have been lost.
(6) Biden was wrong about dividing Iraq into ethnic partitions.
(7) Biden is a loon for claiming that the Iraq War could be one of the great successes of the Obama administration.
(8) Iraq is now the fourth-most politically free Middle Eastern country, after democracy Israel, republic Lebanon, and constitutional monarchy Morocco.
(9) General David Petraeus’ Iraq surge set the model for beating back insurgents and winning in Afghanistan.
(10) Despite liberals’ bleating about its expense, eight years of the Iraq War—including training and preparation for the March 2003 invasion—now turn out to have cost less ($709 billion) than Obama’s useless trillion-dollar stimulus bill.
(11) Bush’s popularity didn’t sink to the level that Obama’s is at now until late 2005, two-and-a-half years into the Iraq War and well into Bush’s second term.
(12) Obama’s address last was full of bromides, revisionist history, and platitudinous prescriptions for the future that have little relation to what will actually need to be done in the War on Terror according to a fair evaluation of conditions on the ground.
But then I’m not Eugene Robinson, who recently called those who wanted an investigation into Park51 mosque supporter Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf’s radical ties “loudmouths,” “fraidy-cats,” and “professional victims,” dismissed Tea Partiers as racists, and called Dr. Alveeda King a “puppet” for appearing at Glen Beck’s Restoring Honor rally.
Oh, and: (13) If anyone deserves to give a triumphal speech marking the end of combat operations in Iraq, it is Bush, Petraeus, Vice President Dick Cheney, or Kermit the Frog—anyone but Obama, who opposed the war from the start and voted as U.S. senator to defund it.
And: (14) Obama has learned nothing about the danger of prematurely promising to remove our troops by a certain date and the fortifying effect this has on our enemy, as demonstrated by his declaration in his speech that we will begin removing troops from Afghanistan in July 2011 according to his preordained schedule, and by his standing commitment to remove all 50,000 troops still stationed in Iraq by the end of 2011. . . See entire column here
Blog author's comments - I obviously thought the above column was worth reading. It was different to see a column on the Iraq War that gave Bush credit for some of the decisions he made.
I will add that Obama is totally wrong for our country and I cannot imagine anyone who could be worse. Biden is also incompetent, but this is no surprise. Look at how many inept 'lawmakers' have been elected to the House and Senate and remain there for decades.
I am also disappointed in the upsurge of liberal voters we now have in the country. With the liberal mindset so many voters and lawmakers have, we will become a weaker society. The country can also expect a greater chance for more terrorist attacks. Do you believe Obama is worried about this? I don't think he is, not when he announces to the enemy in Afghanistan when the U.S. troops will be pulled from the country.
George W. Bush was not the president I thought he would be. Bush made many mistakes and disappointed me many times. Bush was not a true conservative.
I do believe Bush was a person who cared for the country and it's people. I do not believe this about our current Commander In Chief. If I could trade what Obama has done to the country in less than two years for eight more years of George W. Bush, would I do it? You Betcha!
Via:Conservative Outpost
Cartoon by Michael Ramirez
No comments:
Post a Comment